Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fresh Haba Beans (Habas con tomate y jamón)

The haba bean was the only bean known in Europe until the discovery of the new world. The habas come in a pod and they have to be removed. If they are fresh and green they are called habas but if they are dry they are fabas.





In my house it was not a dish that was made often since my dad disliked them very much to the point of getting sick. There is a good reason behind that. During the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) my dad was just a 10 year old boy. The three years of war stole his childhood  and those of many other kids of his generation. Three years of fear. Three years of seeing what no child should see. Three years of bombs, shootings, massacres, and planes dropping bombs like candy. Three years of  running to find shelter, looking for food, helping the injured, hiding the innocent. Three years! Three years of brother against brother, neighbors against neighbors.

The day of the bombing of Gernika or Guernica, there were two other towns bombed that had as much damage or more. One was my father's hometown and the other Durango. My hometown lost most of its houses to the German bombs.

My dad and his family had to move to a good samaritan's "caserio" (Basque farm house).  Much of his time was spent picking haba beans -  eating them raw and bitter or if they were lucky cooked with some lard. That is the reason he hated them. Sometimes my mom would make a small portion for my uncle who, contrary to my dad, never grew to dislike them. When my uncle would have some I would always ask him if I could have some myself because I really enjoyed them. I am glad my mom always made them for my uncle.

Yesterday, I found fresh habas in our "Just Local" store so I bought some, peeled them and cooked them today for lunch for my husband and me. Usually, it doesn't have tomatoes.




Ingredients:

1 pound fresh haba beans
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 onion chopped
2 grated riped tomatoes
1 thick slice Serrano ham, cut in cubes
salt and pepper to taste

On a low heat  put the oil,  onion and garlic in a saucepan. When the onions are getting translucent, add the haba beans and cover with a lid. When they are getting tender add the tomato and let it simmer until they are done. Finally add the serrano ham and serve.









2 comments:

  1. A powerful story behind your family's history! The beans look delicious, though! I have just discovered your blog and will be looking for wonderful Spanish recipes! My husband and I have traveled in Spain three times and each time we have fallen in love with the people and the countryside more and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Habas con tomate y jamon es muy bien. Los estudiantes en me clase gusta habas con tomate y jamon porque los habas es picantes y es muy deliciosos.

    ReplyDelete